Built to resemble the log cabins common in the Cypress Hills/Maple Creek area during the late frontier and early settlement period, the Southwest Saskatchewan Oldtimers' Log Museum was constructed in 1935 out of logs harvested from the Cypress Hills to house the artifacts, photographs and momentos gathered by the newly organized association.
Over the years the little cabin was expanded to accommodate the growing collection of artifacts. The Caretakers' residence was added on to the east side of the building in 1945. It was constructed of logs, in keeping with the architectural style of the original section of the museum. The museum had a live-in caretaker until the 1970s.
The second expansion took place in 1961 when an annex was added to the north wall of the original museum. This new section was known as the "Ranch Room", and was constructed in the same manner as the original structure.
In 1968 a final addition was made to the south end of the original museum structure, giving the building a rough "T" shape.
While this rehabilitation was taking place, a new addition was added to the back of the museum. This new section will provide alarger exhibit space than the museum had previously, and will enable appropriate and effective presentation of the collection for years to come.
In recent years the Log Museum developed structural issues and in 2000 it was determined that rehabilitation was necessary. The additions were removed from the original museum, and itwas dismantled log by log. Where necessary, replacement logs were obtained from the Cypress Hills.
The Museum was honoured to receive a $40,000.00 grant through the CO-OP Community Spaces program in June 2018. Pictured to the left of the cheque is Winnie Leslie-Hanson, Honourary President for 2018, accepting the cheque on behalf of the Museum. These funds were used to restore the grounds of the 1935 Log Museum back to a beautiful public green space.
The addition was completed in September 2018, and the first official event to be held in the new building was a Contractors & Benefactors Reception held 29 September to honour all of those who supported its construction.
Pictured at right are President Betty Abbott along with Board MembersClay Yarshenko, Howard Southwood, Connie Martin, Darlene McDougald and John Reinboldt inside the newly completed addition.
It is hoped that the Museum will reopen in 2019.
Spring 2019 saw the return of another historical feature of the original museum. Logworker Ron Gordon installed a reproduction of the 1935 rustic ornamental fence. We are grateful to the CO-OP Community Spaces Program for supporting this project!